Sunday, April 13, 2008

Is it worth it?

As a parent, many have given you their two cents. Recently a friend and I agreed that we had both been asked, “shouldn’t you deal with this kid (as in one of kids that requires extra care) before thinking of having more?”. Thankfully, my husband was to whom the question was directed at the time, and he quite clearly stated that if we were to have more kids, God would give them to us, and it was our family’s decision regardless. Many believe you should have your ducks in a row before having kids, having more kids, doing anything in life. Don’t get me wrong, I am as OCD and anal-retentive as the next first born child. I love having my ducks in a row. But God has taught me something really big over the last few years - I don’t have to because He is in charge of all of it. And He will give me the grace to handle ALL OF IT if I let Him.
But back to this, “Are you sure?” question. At some point I wonder, have they forgotten it’s worth it - raising kids for Christ? Did they ever think it was worth it? Isn’t it an honor from the Lord in the first place (He gives and takes away…)? I am very passionate about raising my kids, as exhausting as it is and as many days as i have a “losing it” moment (I personally have lots of mine when woken up in the middle of the night). But my friend asked me the other day how I stay at home all day with 2 kids, and all I could think of was, what else would I want to do more? NOTHING. I still love all of it.

No comments: