Thursday, June 19, 2008

JD's Birthday

Today is JD's birthday. We are celebrating the boys' birthdays in July this year with a combined party (LJ's is actually in August) for 2 reasons: 1) it's a lot easier (& cheaper) to plan 1 party than 2, and 2) LJ won't be jealous of just JD getting presents. So tonight, we're going out to eat at a family-friendly restaurant and for ice cream afterwards. LJ has already requested chocolate ice cream. And he thinks there should be cake, too. I am not making a cake 2 days before our trip! So we may have to find a cupcake somewhere; I think he has his mother's sweet tooth.
JD is probably the most cheerful, laidback child I have ever seen. LJ was like this until 18 months, so I keep reminding myself it's short term. Because JD DOES have a little temper. Today, LJ was sharing his "LUCAS"-lettered train with JD and gave him the yellow "U". Well, I would have thought JD didn't care which color or letter he got. Nope - he wanted the ORANGE "A", and he let all of us know!! He was so mad, it made me laugh. Sure enough, when LJ gave him the "A", he settled right back down.

I have to laugh at how opinionated and determined both of my boys are. For one, they got it from both of their parents. There is not much about Tim or myself that is low key, and Tim is even more Type A than I am. But I am so thankful that they show strong personalities, because I really believe for them to be good leaders, husbands, MEN, they need some of that. Many of my girlfriends are unmarried, and even Tim says it's because they are not enough men out there who are confident, know what they want, and go for it - they'd rather just go with the flow. But back to the boys, I relish that they already have opinions, and perseverence, and determination - I hope and pray they will always have that, and they will use it for the Lord.

So we leave for our trip in 2 days. 2 day drive up, 2 day drive back. About 5 days in-between. It may be a little crazy, but I'm so excited! I love road trips, and I think the boys will do really well; at least, LJ will. JD may get a little stir crazy (you know, the crawlers can't get around as much on the breaks). I can't wait to see my grandparents, and just hang out with the whole family. My cousin's wife is giving birth today (on JD's 1 year birthday!), so I hope we either get to meet the little one, or we don't completely miss the whole Boston clan of the Maugels as they visit with the first Brent Maugel grandchild! I haven't seen my brother since Christmas, so that will be fun to see him & his wife too; see all of their pictures of their new house, and what they've done to it.

Well, lots of packing to do! Or else we may start tripping over all of the clothes on the floor.

1 comment:

e.c. said...

btw--I changed the address on my blog to crazycampbellclan.blogspot.com So you'll have to change your link...sorry!