Friday, June 6, 2008

Parenting

Recently, my feelings got hurt. Now, I could most definitely blame some of it on hormones, there is plenty of that flowing through me right now. Most of you know me well enough to know it is rare to really hurt my feelings. My parents gave me pretty tough skin growing up; it helped me keep my focus on God if kids in school picked on me. Sometimes it surprises me the silly things I get upset about because they are usually very silly and very random. But this time, my child said a few things to show that he cared about someone. My friend focused on what he said at the beginning instead of his intention and his heart. I think the thing that disappointed me most was that my child's heart was to show he cared, which to most parents I would think, would be their proudest accomplishment. Children are, by nature, selfish. When they show unselfishness, it brings unspeakable joy to the parent. And it made me sad that LJ's heart was missed. Why do we, as adults, often criticize the one thing we disagree with, instead of looking at the heart and the intention of a person? I know I am the greatest of sinners at this, as the Apostle Paul would say! It reminds me that though I am opinionated about much, and there are many things I will not budge on in my beliefs and in how I raise my family, it does not give me the right to judge others and criticize how they do things; in fact, it is my calling to love them. In LJ's first year, I learned mothers have opinions about how to do everything for their kids, and they are quick to criticize those who don't do it like them. I have also learned, if only by nature of personality but also because God calls us and has created us to be different people, that we are going to do things differently and that is OKAY.
As I was searching my heart this morning and putting my cares before the Lord, I heard His Spirit say, in essence, that what matters in the end of this situation with LJ is that LJ's heart was right, and I should be encouraged that he is listening and watching and learning what I most desire him to learn. There are always going to be people in our lives who will misunderstand us, but if we are following God and doing the right thing (i.e., caring), then we can live without regret and stand before God with honor.

No comments: