Thursday, July 23, 2015

Book Review!

A situation came up for us last weekend that made me realize I have not done enough educating to those around us.  I am pretty open about LJ' s health. I can't hide it, it creeps up on us when we least expect it, and it affects him behaviorally, so I prefer people know he would help it if he could.  We are a mess. It would be an exercise in futility to pretend otherwise.  

While LJ' s siblings understand this is our normal, others do not.  And I am so bad at that. What is the etiquette for teaching other people's kids what epilepsy is? Or immune deficiency? Or autism? Half of the parents I talk to don't know what an immune deficiency is. I can barely explain what epilepsy is to my own children.  But this situation demanded I figure it out.

So I googled and browsed Amazon, and read reviews and finally decided on 2 books for kids with epilepsy.  This particular book was perfect.  It was called, "The Great Katie Kate Explains Epilepsy" by M. Maitland DeLand.  It talks about several different kinds of seizures, how it affects them (it even mentions incontinence!), what testing kids have to go through, and how it gets treated.



We finally sat down as a family tonight and read it.

Afterwards, I could almost see my son physically relax.  I told him we would share this with friends and cousins, so they would understand what he goes through more. Anyone he wanted to share it with.  I think it helped him understand what he goes through, too.  You could almost see the relief in his body language.  I have tried to explain it in the past what goes on in the brain during a seizure, but clearly my squiggly lines were not adequate education. I am so thankful people write books like these for families like mine.

Now, where to find one on immune deficiency....



No comments: