Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Quiet Heart

I have been reading Elisabeth Elliott's book "A Quiet Heart". It is a collection of her writings that end up being great for a devotional. I read several each day, and I feel like they ground me again in God's Word and Truth. Her words pour over me as God's grace and comfort and give me strength each day to go out and be content in spirit with my children and my life. Here's an example.

In her introduction, she had written a prayer in college:
"Lord, give to me a quiet heart
That does not ask to understand,
But confident steps forward in
The darkness guided by Thy hand."

In her first writing, she talks about how Jesus trusted God the Father - how he could sleep through the storm on the sea, how he could eat with and wash the feet of the disciple who denied him and the disciple who betrayed him. It convicts me that when I am hurt or betrayed, I can barely spend time with that person, much less wash their feet, be content, be quiet of spirit and heart. But then she reminds us what is important:

"Purity of heart, said Kierkegaard, is to will one thing. The Son willed only one thing: the will of His Father. That's what He came to earth to do. Nothing else. One whose aim is as pure as that can have a completely quiet heart, knowing what the psalmist knew: "Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup, and have made my lot secure" (Psalm 16:5). I know of no greater simplifier for all of life. Whatever happens is assigned. Does the intellect balk at that? Can we say that there are things which happen to us which do not belong to our lovingly assigned "portion" ("This belongs to it, that does not")? Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty?

"Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion other options are cancelled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter.

"What do we really want in life?....is there one thing above all others....? "One thing have I desired of the Lord," said David, "this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life..." (Psalm 27:4).

"A quiet heart is content with what God gives. It is enough. All is grace."



Of course, it's much more cohesive in the writing/chapter. But her main point is our willing acceptance of our portion, our contentment in what God gives. I love the contemporary song that says, "Blessed be the Lord, who gives and takes away," as it reminds us to be content as God wills it. That He is control of all of it....He just asks us to trust and obey. Sometimes trusting God despite our circumstances seems foolishness to the world, but it is wisdom to God. It is trusting in His strength, not our own. I have not always been here, but as He has taught me and held me and given me wisdom with raising LJ, I have learned to take each day one day at a time, and lean in His grace for today. All the judgment or expectations from the world, from myself, from others just falls away as I lean on His wisdom and grace to teach me what He wants from me today.

No comments: