Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vacation

Okay. So I have gotten the impression that some people find it really hard to leave their kids. And it is hard. I cried almost the whole way home after dropping them off at my parents' house (I had to pick up a very sick husband back at home & drive us to Orlando - it was a long 1st day!). But getting up every morning for 6 days, having no agenda, no diaper changes, no discussions about what we do or don't want to eat for breakfast (I don't do these conversations well first thing in the morning)....and on top of it, sitting at a table outside overlooking a canal, reading books, eating breakfast BY MYSELF (my husband being at the urology conference) in peace & quiet - there just aren't words as I said on facebook. I didn't realize till I had kids how much I needed time to myself. I dearly love my husband, but often he is as high maintenance as the kids, so it was nice to have 5 hours before I had him set a faster pace for us (once he felt better 3 days later!). The weather was beautiful. It was a perfect week. I think it was the most restful, appreciated vacation I've ever had. And it was wonderful to see the boys again. Lucas ran around the van as we packed their things in it, saying "Hurry, Mommy, hurry!" I didn't even know he knew what the word "hurry" was, much less what it meant! :) I think all parents should get away. I have enjoyed my boys more in the past week, listened to them better, loved on them more, played with them more, relished their energy and joy more....I am a better mother because of it.

We are leaving again in 3 weeks to go to my family reunion at my uncle's Cape Cod house. I have never been to the northeast (though I'm originally from Michigan - midwest), and I am very excited. However, we are driving for 2 days with the boys and my parents. Tim's partner is taking vacation for 3 weeks (I will refrain from ranting here on my multiple issues of loving my enemy that I need to work through), so Tim has to fly up separately since he cannot get away for that long. My parents kindly volunteered to join me. I have thoughts on that too. But my grandparents will get to see the boys, and I know that brings them so much joy.

I think my original point here was going to be, I'll be packing again in 2 weeks. I've got a combined birthday party to plan for the boys in July (which will be here before I know it!), and Tim's birthday is in 2 weeks - yikes!

2 comments:

e.c. said...

Soo glad you got to relax and came home feeling refreshed. Las Vegas was like that for us except quicker, busier, and I couldn't shake exhaustion. But it was still nice to be able to come back to the hotel room and crash w/out anyone making demands on me, be able to enjoy reading and sleeping on a plane(what a novel idea), and enjoy a meal uninterrupted. Yea for mini-vacations!

piklpaper said...

hey, kat! i LONG for those moments of silence and mornings of peaceful awakenings that come at just the right time each year on mini vacations. i feel like i'm out of my mind right now with the boys being the ages they are but i know changes will come and i should enjoy it now....HA! i'm workin' on it. :)