Wednesday, April 6, 2016

How to be an Everyday Blessing to Others

We are a bunch of selfish creatures.  At least, we are, speaking for my family.  So as many homeschooling moms do, I found a new mission.

The kids and I are going to start a mission of encouraging others.  Thinking of others.

We have started this in small ways over the last few years, but this year, they are older, and I decided to step it up.  Around Christmas, we started to make notes for people who may not have a lot of people think of them.  We made a couple of fun presents for those that may give, but not receive much. We continued that for Valentine's, then Easter.  There are so many ways I want to expand this, and soon.

People just want to know others are thinking of them.

Then I started thinking of how we could encourage those who came to our house.  A friend of mine had a prayer box at her house, and I thought that could be something we could do.



I think our kids and the neighbor kids have contributed the most to it, but my hope and prayer for putting it in the guest bathroom, is that it is private enough, visitors may increasingly contribute to our prayer box.  And if not, it reminds our kids that there are others in need to keep praying for...and encourages them to have their own list of people to pray for.  (Credit to Target for cute boxes already painted for the non-crafty, and to Amazon Prime for cute labels.)

But then, I keep thinking, how can we be more thankful?  How can I teach thankfulness more than just modeling it?

It finally hit me a few days ago.  A Thankfulness Journal.



It is going to sit on my kitchen table, where anyone can add what they are thankful for.  It can be vague or specific.  It will sit in a place where visitors can sign it and mutually encourage our family to be thankful.  (More credit to Target for cheap decorating options.  And yes, I know Easter was almost 3 weeks ago.)  Maybe as they read it, we can encourage them. That life is more than keeping-up-with-the-Jones' or the Kardashians' or whomever the new kid on the block is...

This could be a complete bomb of an experiment, but if it gets our kids thinking about what they are thankful for, I will consider it a success.  If it can encourage others, even better.

How does your family reach out to others in the every day?  Please share!


No comments: